Monday 16 January 2012

Handmade

Hmmmm, I like crafting, but watching people use their hands to make something beautiful and unique - I like even more. I don't really think I'm especially gifted so even if I find something interesting to do or make by myself I think about it a way to long too decide if I'm ready to make it or if I have enough patience or if I'm able not to mess with things. What I want to show you this time is not really my original idea - I saw it somewhere, don't remember where exactly, because it was time ago. The only thing I remember is that I need a picture frame, newspaper and birds (ha!). And a marker.
The original illustration was made with newspaper (without any photos on it) and pictures of a birds sitting on a branch. The author of the illustration explained he/she cuts out the pics of the birds (from, let's say National Geographic magazine), then - using a pencil - draws the branch on a piece of newspaper, sticks the birds on the newspaper, then fills the picture of birds and branch with black marker and puts it in a frame.
I liked that idea so much and I decided to do same thing by myself, I bought thick black marker and a frame (21cm x 30cm - Ikea, really cheap). The problem was to find birds. I was browsing every magazine or old books looking for pictures of birds so I could use it for my project. I found one eagle and that's it. So I gave up. Till yesterday.
I found the ad in a magazine - Ikea has a sale (yuppi!), it came with a picture of a colourful tray and the birds on it. Look at this:


 So I cut out the birds:


I used the proportions of the frame to cut out exactly the same piece of newspaper:


Then, I outlined all birds using green marker (in a process I decided to fill the birds with green marker)


And spent another hour with filling them out (so if you decide to do the same thing, don't use thin marker, as I did. Get a think one, so the whole filling will take about 20 minutes or less). 


Easy - peasy. 


Tomorrow I'll make another one with violet birds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment